THE NATIONAL POLICY FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, 2006Ability India
Recognizing that the Persons with Disabilities constitute a valuable human resource for the country and that a majority of such persons can lead a better quality of life if they have equal opportunities and effective access to rehabilitation measures, the Government, with a view to create an environment that provides such persons equal opportunities for protection of their rights and full participation in society, formulated and brought out the National Policy for Persons with Disabilities.
2. With focus on Prevention of Disabilities and Rehabilitation Measures, the Policy provides for the following:-
I. Prevention of Disabilities
II. Rehabilitation Measures
II A. Physical Rehabilitation Strategies :
- Early Detection and Intervention
- Counselling & Medical Rehabilitation
- Assistive Devices
- Development of Rehabilitation Professionals
II B. Education for Persons with Disabilities
II C. Economic Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities :
- Employment in Government Establishments
- Wage employment in Private Sector
III. Provisions for Women with Disabilities
IV. Provisions for Children with Disabilities
V. Barrier-free Environment
VI. Issue of Disability Certificates
VII. Social Security
VIII. Promotion of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
IX. Collection of regular information on Persons with Disabilities
XI. Sports, Recreation and Cultural life
XII. Amendments to existing Acts dealing with the Persons with Disabilities
4. Accordingly, the principal areas of intervention under the Policy are : Prevention, Early-detection and Intervention; Programmes of Rehabilitation; Human Resource Development; Education of Persons with Disabilities; Employment; Barrier free-environment; Social Protection; Research; Sports, Recreation and Cultural Activities.
5. The following mechanism is in place for implementation of the National Policy:
i. Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment is the nodal Department to coordinate all matters relating to implementation of the Policy.
- The Central Coordination Committee, with stakeholder representation, coordinates matters relating to implementation of the National Policy. There is a similar Committee at the State level.
- The Ministries of Home Affairs; Health & Family Welfare; Rural Development; Urban Development; Youth Affairs & Sports; Railways; Science & Technology; Statistics & Programme Implementation; Labour; Panchayati Raj and Women & Child Development and Departments of Elementary Education & Literacy, Secondary & Higher Education; Road Transport & Highways; Public Enterprises; Revenue; Information Technology and Personnel & Training are also identified for implementation of the policy.
- Panchayati Raj Institutions and Urban Local Bodies are associated in the functioning of the District Disability Rehabilitation Centres. They are required to play a crucial role in the implementation of the National Policy to address local level issues.
- The Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities at Central level and State Commissioners at the State level, play key role in implementation of the National Policy, apart from their respective statutory responsibilities.